Fenugreek essential oil is obtained by steam distillation from the seeds of fenugreek ( Trigonella foenum – graecum ). The seeds are rhomboid shaped and are used in cooking and as a medicine. Fenugreek seeds have been used for a number of health benefits since ancient timesl. The steam distilled oil is organic and natural.
There are two kinds ( varieties ) of fenugreek essential oil.
- Fenugreek seed pressed oil – This oil contains healthy fatty acids.
- Fenugreek seed essential oil – It contains volatile compounds which have unique health benefits.
Fenugreek infused oil – This is prepared by infusing the seeds and other parts of fenugreek in a base oil. On can make this oil at home itself.
Fenugreek Essential oil Properties
Fenugreek oil just like the seeds has tremendous healing properties.
- Anti-Viral – fights certain viruses.
- Anti-Cancer – This oil has some anticarcinogenic properties.
- Antioxidant – It prevents the cells from free radical damage.
- Hypoglycemic – lowers blood glucose.
- Phytoestrogen – It mimics the female hormone estrogen.
- Circulant – It boost blood circulation.
- Anti-Inflammatory – It reduces inflammation on the skin.
- Expectorant – It promotes the release of phlegm from the throat.
- Neuroprotective – It protects the nervous system. Immunomodulatory – It helps to modulate the functioning of immune system.  Beta cell stimulant
- It is one of the few substances that stimulate beta cells of the pancreas.  Hypotensive –
- It alleviates hypertension.  Antispasmodic –
- It prevents muscular spasms. Galactagogue – It promotes lactation. Color and Aroma –
Color and Aroma
Fenugreek essential oil has a yellowish color with a hint of brown. It has a powerful aroma which is fragrant but with tones of bitter.
Blends Well With Fenugreek essential oil goes brilliantly with the essential oil of cinnamon in aromatherapy.
Health Benefits of Fenugreek Essential oil
Because of its healing properties, fenugreek oil can be used in a number of home remedies through which one can avail health benefits.